Wednesday, July 2, 2008

When the Wind Blows

July 1, 2008 3:37 PM EST

So my friend Adam came up with this idea for a movie. Almost the same as the one I've been working on myself. He wanted to call it "When the Wind Blows". I'm not sure if that's the best answer for it. But it's getting there. Essentially the story is the same – some middle aged or younger guy has a life altering coincidental occurrence, or mishap, or chance encounter, or whatever – which leaves him with no other choice but to abandon his current life and head for the open road (Adam thinks that getting two flat tires on his car simultaneously would be enough of a trigger, I'm not so sure). Possibly within his own country. I like the idea or international travel though. One because I'm sitting in Chicago O'Hare right now waiting on a flight to Dusseldorf, and two – it leaves so much more room for the unexpected. I have no idea what I'm getting into. I'm scared shitless. I have no plan. This is an adventure. To communicate these feelings on screen would be wonderful. I'm seeing the guy whose first true love either died or left him or something. He becomes a monotonous machine. Work. Sleep. Eat. Years. Then one day his car breaks down. He starts walking. Finds a gas station or something. Enter the antagonist. She's a young, beautiful foreigner visiting her brother in here in the States. She helps him get his car, and life back in order. He can't help but to fall in love with her. She represents mystery, uncertainty. She ignites a spark inside his cold dying heart that turns his world upside-down. Catch is – she's leaving in a few days. She invites him to come visit. He laughs it off initially but seriously considers it. Fast forward. Weeks have gone by. In the meantime whilst he's been obsessing over the foreign girl, another woman – older, sophisticated – a co-worker perhaps enters his life. She just (broke up with/divorced/come up with something) her man. And suddenly they're having drinks. They're talking. They're flirting, and touching, and kissing, and fucking. And the foreign girl is still on this guys mind. He likes this new woman very much. But he doesn't see their relationship for what it is. She's the perfect answer to his broken heart. But he's blinded by youthful lust and reckless abandon. He goes overseas. He wanders through an unfamiliar countryside. Has adventures. Meets new friends. Disaster. Possibly mugged? By a nazi midget? He finds the girl, only to discover what a train-wreck she really is. This comes as both surprise, and not. Hilarity ensues while the buildup to "the epiphany" gathers strength. He's in love with the girl back home. And he had to fly 4000 miles to realize it. Dumbass. But that's life. Will she still be there when he get's back? Will she feel the same? Don't know yet.

    Also, I just realized that I haven't told you how funny I'm dressed right now. Kristen and I stopped in at Target this morning on our way to the Airport to buy a pair of jeans (all of mine were not travel worthy). Anyhow, I found this awesome striped polo on the clearance rack and thought, hey, Germans dress bad. So can I. Needless to say, if you know me at all – you know I feel hilarious in this get-up. I love it. I'll try to get a photo up as soon as I get a wireless connection. I'm not paying $5.95 for 30 minutes here at the Airport. There's gotta be free wifi somewhere in Germany.


 

Ich mochte das Schildkröte