Thursday, July 3, 2008

And on the right is…nothing.




July 4, 2008 4:45 AM +1 GMT

    Kinda drunk. Not gonna lie. After my shower earlier, I felt like a million bucks. I met up with Elaine and a fellow artist she is staying with named Peter at the Albert Platz. Peter suggested eating before we went out – which to me always sounds like a good idea. So. We hit up this little Turkish inspired (but not authentic I have learned) Gyro type place. They're all over Europe. I let Peter order for me and what I ended up with was essentially an awkwardly folded Gyro. Fucking Delicious. Kinda pricey at 5 euro, but at 12am, you really can't beat it. After that we walked to what Peter said was one of the oldest bars in Dresden. By the way, you can drink everywhere in Germany. You can literally walk down the street with an open bottle and hop on a train and finish it off. Took me a minute to get used to, but damn, makes leaving the bars so much easier. Not done with your drink? Oh well. Take it with you. We encountered a group of drunk gay men, which attempted to get us to follow them to a gay bar named Queens. Go figure. We tried to ditch them, but, they ended up tagging along with us for most of the night. The one guy was like, "I am very drunk, and English is very bad, but you are very sexy man." I said thanks and we all laughed and went to the next bar for some dancing and more drinks.

    The next bar was fucking awesome. Place seemed like it never closed. We didn't show until at least 3:00 am. There was a bonfire going full blaze outside, and a techno DJ inside in the dance room if you wanna call it that. Peter bought me a shot of Vodka and I ordered a Becks (they charge you more than the beer initially by the way, and if you bring the bottle back to the bar when you're done, they give you back your .30 euros). Pretty cool. I also learned that a 1 euro tip on a round is entirely way too much. Most people leave .20 cents or nothing at all. Poor guys. So yea, the three of us danced, and laughed, and drank at this miniature rave at 3:30 in the morning in the middle of Dresden. Pretty fucking cool. I had a blast, and it was wonderful to see Elaine and meet up with Peter. He seems like a great guy and I can't wait to see some of his work tomorrow. I'm meeting up with them sometime during the day (Elaine's lecture is tomorrow), and after that I'm sure we'll be drinking heavily. I hope. I made it here alive. Safe. Now I want a beer and a shower in the morning – after that, who knows.

Love and miss,

Ken